Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A week in Khulna

Yes, I know it's been forever since I last posted. But, see, the thing is....I hardly know what to write. I've realized I was out of tourist mode and been adjusting to life here as though everything I see and do is normal, and then it because difficult to know what to say because it all seems so...typical.

For instance, a week ago Sunday (I think) we were down in the village of Rajghat (the only friends in the field are an older couple who live there). After meeting, we ate dinner with this couple, Protul and Putul. As an ant crawled across my rice, the thought that floated across my brain was, "I wonder if that's the only one, or if I've already eaten some." At home, I would have freaked out; but here, my reaction was one of mild amusement.

I guess I should tell you what all we've been doing here in Khulna.

Mondays, we have a study with one of Deborah's Bangla tutors, Lipy. She originally planned to enter a convent, but realized that was what she wanted to do, not what God wanted her to do. So now she is studying to be an English teacher. Interestingly, English is the only thing she studies in college. For four years. No other classes.

Tuesdays are free days.

Wednesdays, we go to Rajghat, by bus, for a morning study with P & P. Ma Halder also comes there. She has two sons and two daughters professing, in Dhaka. The village children are soooo adorable! When we leave P&P's, they come running, "Sister, sister!". They give us big hugs and walk with us, holding our hands, to whomever's house we're headed next.

Wed. afternoons, we have a study with man named Thomas. This poor guy is literally nothing more than a skeleton with some skin stretched across the bones. I think he had polio, but instead of affecting his legs like w/ most people, he's really, really thin. Various family members curiously hang around for the study, but they don't really have much interest beyond that, it doesn't seem.

Thursdays are free days (I think. can't remember for sure :] )

Fridays, we visit another young man, Shamir. He is Hindu, but is interested in learning about Christianity. Most of the contacts have already left Hinduism behind and have tried out various other churches before coming in contact with the workers. But this man had never even heard the story of the creation before. Last Friday, he asked how to pray: should he cross his legs like this? or like this? Another man was there as well, but we're not sure whether he's a Hindu or another religion (m). Anyway, I guess we'll have to be careful.

Saturdays, we head down to the village (Rajghat) and stay there for the night. Until this past Saturday, I have successfully avoided both squat toilets (if you can call them toilets!) and eating with my hands. I could have asked for a spoon to eat, but I figured I could give it a try. It's not so bad after I got over the "my hand's getting messy" part, but it is a bit barbaric-feeling. Oh, and to wash my hair Sunday morning....went outside and pumped water from the well into a bucket, then dumped water on my head with a pitcher. If that didn't make me feel like I'd been transported to the 1800s.... :)

Well, I suspect this is getting a bit long, and I need to do a few things before I go to bed, so I'll try to think of more to say soon.

Still haven't figured out how to post pictures; the site's partly in Bangla. I think I'm going to try to set up a Picasa web album and post the link. That might be easiest. I'll let you know when that's up and running.

4 comments:

Esther said...

Wow. What more to say? It's a good thing I'm not your mother! Like I have ENOUGH to worry about.

Thing1 said...

You tried ants.... hmmmm.... I tried rice in Ecuador......
Ok ok i know it´s not the same thing!!!!

beth said...

it is amazing how fast strange things become normal! by the time we all get home we´ll just be telling each other we had a great time, period. :)WONDERFUL people here, though!

Thing2 said...

sooo...Beth...where's your photos...and the stories of people you've met, etc.??? You harrassed poor Katia (okay, she deserves it) but are guilty of the same thing (no pictures, no comments about friends you've met, etc.)