Friday, November 7, 2008

From the Ostrich...

We are presently floating down (or possibly up) a river somewhere in Bangladesh. At this point, we are probably not terribly far from Khulna. We are supposed to arrive around 9 pm. I feel a little like we've traveled back in time. The steamer is 80 years old, but I feel like we're somewhere in the 1800s. Deborah and I are in a little cabin w/ 2 beds, Adele next door. But you should see 3rd class! The people are all crammed in one open room, with just blankets on the floor. Reminds me of the stories of immigrants to the U.S. traveling in steerage. Anyway, I should catch you up on the last several days.

Our visiting workers at the convention were George Lee and Lorraine Lerwick (U.S.), Beverly Thompson (Can./W. Africa), and Colin Sanders (Aus./Brazil). The rest of the staff consists of Adele Jeske and Deborah Wentz (U.S./BD), Rick Larson (Can./BD), John Watt (NZ/BD/Dubai), Harrison John (Pak./BD), and Jill Reeve (NZ/Pak). There were also two ladies visiting from Aus., Ruth and Therese, and Rick's cousin and his wife, Sheldon and Julie.

The convention starts on Thursday evening and lasts (technically) until Saturday evening, though everyone stays for the Sunday evening meeting. The morning meetings are from 10-12, then lunch, and then most people go home. Afternoon meetings are from 3-5, then there is a tea break, then evening meeting from 6-7. Supper follows. The meals are one floor up from the meeting room; little Bangladeshi men do the cooking and serving. Deborah enjoys how easy preps and clean-up are here! Everything is done in just a few hours.

For over a year, Bangladesh was in a national state of emergency. Part of the deal with that is there's a ban on rallies, etc. However, that ban was lifted Wednesday, and Thursday one of the party leaders arrived in Dhaka. It made a mess of traffic! Adele, Deborah, and I dropped a bunch of stuff off at the brothers' bach on the other side of town for them to send down later. Adele went over early in the day, and warned us that there were major traffic jams. We had been planning on taking everything over in a taxi, but that plan was scratched. Rickshaws can maneuver in and out of traffic easier, so Deborah piled me and some of the stuff in one, then found another for herself and the rest of the stuff. It took me almost 2 hours to get there, when it should've taken 30 minutes max. But, on the way, I got to see the parades of marching men with drums and banners. So anyway, we ate lunch at the brothers', a few of the friends came, and Ruth, Therese, Adele, Deborah, and I left around 3 for a horse-drawn carriage ride and the Steamer.

The carriage ride was a great way to see the city, because Ruth and I sat on the seat right behind the drivers (two adorable little boys). We felt like we were on a parade float. After we all got in and arranged, Ruth commented, "Well, that sure was a traffic-stopper." At least 50 men were gathered around us, staring like they do. And it was like that the entire ride: smiling, waving, asking us to take their pictures, taking pictures of us. I know a little bit better what famous people must go through. Even just walking down the street in front of the bach, a group of young guys got out their cameras and took pictures of me. The same thing happened today. The boat stopped at a little village, so I took some pictures of the men loading and unloading goods. And a group of guys got out their cell phones to take my picture. I guess it's only fair; I took pictures of them, but it felt a little funny :)

Well, that's all I can think of to say for now; maybe I'll think of some other things later. Plus, I imagine this post is getting quite long!

2 comments:

beth said...

Hey, where ARE the pic.'s?!?! I'm not finding them!! :{
MOM

Katia Gordon said...

I said when we get to Khulna, I'll try to get some up. I don't have any up yet.